Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Vegetarian Dim Sum House


Yesterday my husband and I trekked into China Town in search of a bonsai tree for the living room. We're almost done putting up all the earthy-toned, Asian inspired decor we chose for the room, and its finally coming together. But I wanted a bonsai tree to top it all off before I host a gathering Wednesday night in my home, so I had to go searching, and China Town seemed like a good first stop.

Sure enough, we got our bonsai tree. More importantly, I had been dying to try dim sum for a while after it had been strongly recommended to me, so before we left we were looking it up and trying to find a place with those cute little carts full of dumplings that waiters roll around all morning along with endless pots of oolong tea. It became quickly apparent to me that dimsum is particularly not vegetarian friendly. It's a meat laden ordeal. Thus my excitement to learn that there is a restaurant in the heart of china town called Vegetarian Dim Sum House.

Yay!

There were no carts. Rather you order by checking which things you want on a list, and they bring you your order while you drink tea and relax. The place wasn't very busy, so I can see how the cart system wouldn't work as well. The drawback to the chart is that you can't really see what you are ordering size wise- we ended up ordering way too much. Other than that, it was fantastic! My favorite was the steamed mock pork buns. The mock meat was subtle and well flavored, and everything was cooked perfectly. The only complaint I have is that some of the starchy items with taro and lotus root were ultra-rich and oily, like they spent too long in a deep frier. So, nutrition wise, I give it pretty much a half star, but it was altogether delicious. Finish off your meal like we did at Ten Ren Bubble Tea (Go for the Shredded Ice! especially Taro!) and you'll be happily stuffed to capacity.

Vegetarian Dim Sum House is located on 24 Pell St. Take the Q to Canal.
Dim Sum served all day, 10:30am-10:30pm, regular menu also available.

No comments:

Post a Comment