Friday, August 28, 2009

On K-Dog And Dunebuggy

I have had a really productive week. Wednesday I ran just over a half marathon (14 miles, and yes, I'm still a little sore), and today I finished the first draft of my first novel (which has taken me... well, longer than I think I'm willing to own up to.) And maybe by next week I'll actually be employed, considering after a dozen applications I finally received a request for an interview. I cannot credit myself entirely for the creative jolt. I have also to thank: a supportive husband, the music on my MP3 player, and, of course, lots and lots of coffee and tea.

Which brings me to discuss a little jewel in Lefferts Gardens called K-Dog and Dunebuggy. No, I have no idea what the name means, but I can tell you that the cafe is adorable and well worth a visit. Or many visits.

The great thing about Dunebuggy is that it looks like it belongs in Greenwich Village; great decor, great music, free wifi, low key staff, good food, good coffee, and great tea options (Check out this tea menu! Today I wrote the final pages of my novel while sipping Fiji Green Tea, which is papaya and pineapple infused and really unique.) And they have lots of outlets, and only ask you make a purchase of some sort for every hour you are there on your laptop. But on top of the downtown feel of Dunebuggy, it has a quintessentially Brooklyn characteristic to it: a local neighborhood atmosphere. The sign outside actually says "Coffee - Food - Neighbors" and like Vox Pop, they offer all sorts of events and have a play area for children. I love that the tables are actually decorated with pictures of local children. Half the people that come in are regulars, and in the course of my stay I saw the barista get into half an hour long conversations with patrons, and even walk over to embrace one of her regulars and ask her how her leg is feeling.

This cafe is very good news for me, especially since I'm a strong believer in cafes as a necessary part of urban living. Actually, I'm a believer in cafes in general. Because, even if you are out in the woods somewhere, cafes act as gathering places, and switch up our sensory load so that we don't start to habituate our living room and forget to appreciate simple things, like strangers laughing and pretty decor. If you are a writer or artist or yogi or meditation practictioner of any sort, I think cafes are absolutely essential for you. And if you are married, all the more so, since a little healthy distance goes a really long way. A little healthy distance, free wifi, and some caffeine, even better. Friendly, local atmosphere to boot? Call me a regular.

K-Dog and Dunebuggy is located on 43 Lincoln Road (between Flatbush and Ocean), right next to the Prospect Park stop on the Q-B.

No comments:

Post a Comment